McConnell Blasts Democrats’ New ‘Aspirational’ Coronavirus Relief Bill

Congressional Republicans are giving Democrats’ new coronavirus relief bill a cold reception. 

House Democrats unveiled their latest relief bill, estimated to cost $3 trillion, on Tuesday, as IJR reported

When asked if he opposed certain elements of the bill, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said, “What I’ve said is, we’re taking a look at what we’ve already done — we’ve added about $3 trillion to the national debt — and assessing the effectiveness of that before deciding to go forward.”

“I’m in discussion, we all are, with the administration. If we reach a decision, along with the administration, to move another phase, that’ll be the time to interact with the Democrats.”

McConnell slammed the bill that was unveiled by the Democrats on Tuesday, “What you’ve seen in the House … is not something designed to deal with reality, but designed to deal with aspirations.”

“This is not a time for aspirational legislation. This is a time for a practical response to the coronavirus pandemic,” he added. 

Watch the video below:

Additionally, McConnell said Republicans would push for “narrowly targeted legislation” with the aim of addressing “the problems, the needs, and not the aspirations of the Democratic majority in the House.”

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Congress must act in a “big and bold way” to provide Americans with more coronavirus relief. And he touted the new House bill as “just what America needs.”

“What is it going to take for Mitch McConnell to wake up and see that the American need help and need it now?” Schumer asked.

Congressional Democrats have been pushing for a bold new coronavirus relief bill to help Americans struggling because of the coronavirus.

But Republicans have chosen to tap the breaks and argued that Congress should assess effectiveness the previous relief bills before passing another multi-trillion dollar bill that could add to the national debt.

The Democrats’ bill would provide $75 billion for coronavirus testing, $25 billion for the Post Office, $10 billion in grants for small businesses, and direct payments of up to $6,000 per household.

The House is expected to vote on the bill on Friday, but Senate Republicans who control the upper chamber have signaled opposition to the bill. 

Responses

  1. It is fair to argue to avoid too much debt. The GOP, however, has a habit of taking debt to resolve issues that favour the rich e.g. big banks in 2008.

    Their big concern has been propping up Democratic governors which they do not want to do. I think the solution is to pass new laws that require 95% federal taxes collected in a state to be spent in that state. The remaining 5% can be used for DC. That would be more honest I think.

  2. Translation : important, entitled, rich, Caucasian trash, rephucklicans aren’t getting what they deserve- the most- while lots of unimportant little people are getting way too much.

  3. “This is not a time for aspirational legislation. This is a time for a practical response to the coronavirus pandemic.” Moscow Mitch

    Translation: Our big donors got billions and billion of grift, so what do WE care about the little people?

    1. Every time it seems you can’t get stupider, you do. “Translation: Our big donors got billions and billion of grift, so what do WE care about the little people?” Back up your rhetoric, contusion. OBVIOUSLY your wound hasn’t even started to heal.

Comments are closed.